Monday 10 March 2008

1:25 Hot Wheels



What with Revell releasing a series of Hot Wheels branded kits lately, and my ongoing love affair with these cool little die-casts, this post was one that I'm particularly excited to bring you. See, I thought the Revell kits would be 1:25 versions of popular Hot Wheels models, just scaled up. Actually, I didn't honestly think they would be, but I was really hoping that something like that might happen. Or that Hot Wheels would bite the bullet and make their own 1:25 kits. I'd buy a shipping container full in a second.

Turns out, no, just as I feared; nothing new and groundbreaking from the Revell/Hot Wheels alliance. I was gonna have to wait to see a scaled up Hot Wheels in plastic. I had no idea I'd only have to wait a week though.

Chris Walker, aka Nightstalker, posted a thread up on the Coffin Corner which I didn't read straight away but when I did my jaw just hit the floor. It was like he'd got in my brain overnight and taken a kinda loose casual thought and made it into a well rounded and developed concept. And he didn't just do it once either...

What would YOU do if you were building a 1:25 version of, lets say, a Hot Wheels VW Beetle? I know what I'd do: buy myself a Tamiya Beetle kit, and assemble it box stock with paint to match the HW. Only a modeller with heroic levels of determination to match the concept in their head would make, for example, a 1:25 copy of the Hot Wheels base plate, right? Chris did. With lettering? Yep. Redlines? Yep. The rivet that holds the bottom and the top of the car together? Yep!

Like I said before, he didnt just do it once either. I picked the Hot Pink Sand Crab shown above cos it showed the original and the scaled up version in one pic, but it could've easily been one of the many other executions of this cooler-than cool concept that Chris has built. You just GOTTA check out the original thread first, then more pics on Chris's site. In fact, check out the WHOLE site, it's a great way to spend a little while!

And now, I can sleep sound knowing that (although none of them are mine, sadly) there ARE some ubercool 1:25 Hot Wheels models out there, and that they're even cooler than I first imagined.

JB

No comments: