Wednesday 19 March 2008

An Open Letter To Manufacturers Of Model Kits



Dear Manufacturers Of Model Kits

I like a lot of old stuff, but if there's one modern thing I enjoy it's model kits. And Formula One. The most most expensive sport in the world; and since they turned the traction control off, the most exciting.

You kit makers model a lot of competition cars. Some cool (vintage gassers) and some not so cool (Toyota rally car anyone?). A couple of you even make Formula One kits. And I'm grateful, cos if I wanted to build an old F1 car, I can.

Here's what bugs me though. Why can't ANYONE release a Formula One kit in the year it's racing? Announcing it before the end of the season doesn't count, it's gotta be on sale and out there. You used to do it with the annuals - soon as the 1:1 was on sale, the model would be too. What's changed since the sixties? I really hope it's not something lame like licencing or some crap like that. I don't wanna build 2007's Ferrari! It's 2008 now! There's a new one already!

Also, when you DO get around to making these kits, could you think about making them in 1:25 or so? You know, like most of the other car kits on the market? 1:20th is WEIRD.

Thanks

A Formula One/Modelling Fan
The Internet

No comments: