Tuesday 17 June 2008

Chevro-clay



I've never featured much clay on the blog before, and I doubt I will any time soon, but when I spotted this 53 Chevy in a shop in Hampstead at the weekend, I had to have it if only for it's 'something interesting to write about' factor.

I've mentioned before on the blog that the 51 Chev is my all time favourites, but the 53 shares a lot of it's styling cues, and is close enough that I'd happily 'settle' for one on my driveway. If it's two tone red and blue and has licence plates reading 'CUBA', then so be it.

I've been pondering the origins of this model (sculpture?) for a couple of days and I'm happiest with the theory that it was a souvenir bought home from some Londoner's holiday - bought to remind them of a happy week or two in the sun, smoking cigars, visiting talent shows and drinking the banana. It looks well done enough to definitely not be a first effort, but imperfect enough not to be mass produced either. How you'd go about making a hollow Chevrolet out of wet mud by hand, I have no idea, but thats my theory until I come up with something better.

Whatever it's story, for the princely sum of one Pound, its now stting proudly in my collection, all cartoon looking and ugly in it's garish colour scheme. Viva Cuba!


JB

No comments: