Monday 16 June 2008

Fendered Aluma-Coupe



A lot of 'real' rodders argue that it isn't cool to be a Boyd fan. And true, his super-sleek modernised creations are about as far from the traditional rodding scene as you can get. That said, and much as trad rodding will always be my first passion, I love Boyds stuff. There, I said it. Some of it dated better than others, but they're all clean, pretty, and inspirational. I'm working on a Boyd tribute 32, and I build my own version of his Aluma-Coupe, and I've seen every American Hot Rod fifty times. I bought all the AMT Boyd Coddington signature kits, although they were arguably little more than poorly thought out cash-ins.

Harley did his take on Testors' snap kit long before me, and did it better too. He envisaged a fendered version, with a big sexy rear end moulded effortlessly into the sides of the body, and sleek swooping front fenders perfectly complimenting the front end that Boyd envisaged. he pulled it off too, and then some. His build looks more Boyd than Boyd - just the kinda sleek sexy machine that the bearded one would love. Great tribute, even if none was meant.

JB

No comments: