Monday 2 June 2008

Dueling Willys



I've blogged before about Showrods member Harley, featured a couple of his builds and relieved him of a significant amount of plastic. He's a true ambassador for the hobby; friendly, knowledgeable, generous with his time and skills and best of all a fantastic and innovative modeller.

I recently won a charity auction on the Showrods site for a collection of diecasts and built-ups from Harley's collection that he'd very generously donated to the cause. Now, this wasn't junk either - the stuff Harley gives away is better than what most would keep, and I'm delighted to be able to show you some of the cool stuff that's recently set up home in my display case. There's some plastic, some diecasts, some old, some new, all of it worth a look.

Not listed in the auction, but very generously gifted to me (I'd love to say it made my day, but so many things made my day that it wouldn't be fair on the 100 other amazing things...) was a little postcard sized diorama of a Willys Coupe and Pick Up launching from a drag racing startline. The blue car is ahead by a tiny fraction, whilst the pink one climbs dramatically skywards .

Its a beautifully simple piece, two cars, a start line and the asphalt it's painted on, but the elements are combined to truly create that old cliche of something bigger than the sum of it's parts.

And you aint seen nothing yet, we got some serious coolness to come. Think yourselves lucky I felt it rude to arrive outside someone's house with a camera, or we'd be here for the rest of the year...

JB

No comments: