Sunday 3 February 2008

Junkyard Jewels #6: The Number 62



Skanky old decals are the nearest us modellers will probably get to time-weathered paint - unless we weather it ourselves, obviously. Being a fan, as I am, of something that looks like it's been properly used and enjoyed, a decal missing bits out of it quite appeals to me.

Chances are it'll silver like a bastard when I lay it down, and it's almost crazy to build a whole car around a single decal, but how cool would this look on the back of a royal blue roadster of some sort. Number 62 takes the record!

JB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some guys wiil take new decals, lay them on the model, and carefully pick little pieces out of them to make them look battered and weathered. I like this idea of yours 'bout using old decals and if you trim them very close to the actual image, the 'silvering' effect might not show too badly.

James said...

Yeah - the edges are all straight so it wouldnt be too hard to do that hopefully...

I've got an ALPS printer here that I haven't used yet, so that's an option too - scan 'em, touch 'em up and reprint