Wednesday 6 February 2008

My Friend Morton



My friend Morton is my most valued ally when it comes to putting any kit together. Like a chef needs his knives and his oven, I need my knife and my glue. Anything else, tools wise, is a bonus the way I see it. Like a chef, I could even strip it down so far as to only need the knife. A chef can make sushi without needing an oven and I could make a snap kit with out glue. Just a knife to sculpt and carve raw materials (be it fish or styrene) into a finished product.

It pays to have a good one. In fact, any tools you buy - spend enough that you wont have to buy them again. I didn't always do that, but I'm learning.

I started with an orange plastic Swann Morton hobby knife but it couldn't quite handle the abuse I was giving it. It held the blade with a tightening screw and I was always afraid the blade was gonna slip out when applying a lot of pressure and cut a major vein in me.

SO, last summer, I upgraded to an all metal item, as pictured (albeit abstractly) above. This one needs a pair of pliers to get the old #11 blade in and out. That's more like it!

It's never let me down in hundreds of hours of use, and bar a regular blade change (once a month unless I'm BMF-ing) I couldn't ask for more from a tool.

In fact, I don't even think about it, it's just an extension of me. Which is just how a tool should be...

JB

No comments: