Wednesday 30 January 2008

The Builds Of Gray Smith: Part 1



Once in a while you get a surprise on what you thought would be a bland day. Got everything all planned out and something cool pops up right in the middle of things to shake your day around a little. That's what happened to me today.

Gray Smith is an entrant in the World's Most Beautiful Model Roadster Contest, and he emailed me and sent a link to his Photobucket to check out his builds. Even after just a quick skim of the pics I knew I'd found a guy whose builds I was gonna HAVE to feature here. Not just one, but loads of them! The rods were my favourite, particularly this jaw-dropping Ala Kart mock up.

Now, looking at the facts, this is just a body and a set of aftermarket wheels. But look at the attitude it's got! Low slung really suits that gangly tall 'Kart body huh? Those Wantabe Minilite-style wheels made me immediately think of some kinda crazy modern take on a track nose T, and it turns out I wasn't far off the mark...

I emailed Gray straight away and asked for more info to try and piece together what he had in mind, and he obliged with the following:

"oh man, thats an oooollldd mock up...I bought that kit when it came out and decided a hi, er lowboy version of the ala kart would be better. Think carbon fiber body with candy paint over it(so you can still see the weave), quad cam ford indy motor(need to buy another) with twin turbos, or an sr20det from the aoshima s13 silvia(have that in the closet) corvette c5 rear transaxle, Inboard mounted shocks, watanabe wheels and a cool bare interior...kind of a retro style track rpu with modern components mixed in."

Sounds cool huh? If he don't build it soon, I think I will! Or maybe we should do one each and race 'em!

More tomorrow from they Smith Garage - you're gonna like it!

JB

No comments: