Friday 4 January 2008

WIP - Whatta Inspirational Project!



I was thinking hard all of today on what today's blog should cover. I've been storing up ideas in my head of great blogging subjects, but when I got around to writing one this afternoon my head emptied. Which got me to thinking, what inspires me to be creative? My building style is very much about putting 'wrong' parts into thing sand making them fit. Old 'metal axle through the block' AMT engines into Revell Coupes, for example. And scratchbuilding and modifying parts. I haven't built a box stock model yet, and I don't intend to anytime soon either. So, nothing gets my mind whirring like seeing someone else building like how I do. Especially if they do it better than me, which is pretty much a given.

Take the pic above. Now, I gotta apologise to whoever took this pic and posted it on the net. I right clicked, saved it, and put it on my desktop to look at again. Today when I found it I had no idea whose picture it was, where I got it from or what happened to this project. I sincerely apologise for stealing your image and using it on my blog, but it demonstrates my point so perfectly that I couldn't resist.

Let's look at that pic a second. 32 Coupe, Revell kit, chopped a couple of scale inches probably and nothing like finished. I cant see one piece on it that looks done. But I can already tell by looking at it that it's going to (or has already) turn out great. Those lightening holes in the roof and seats are such a cool touch - you can transform the look of a hot rod build like this with a few discrete (or not so discrete, in this case) holes. Drill the frame, the body, the interior, anything, the more like a lump of that hole-y cheese it looks the better in my eyes. As long as it's realistic anyway - you dont see many drilled fuel tanks, for example.

The stripped chrome on the the front spreader bar, suspension arms and headlights suggests to me that this is a SERIOUS builder, either rechroming to get rid of sprue marks, substituting chrome with another metal finish or going body coloured. Here, I like to think it's a mix of all three.

The drums on the back and front make me think 60s, which then makes me think of candy colours, wild not-quite-perfectly-proportionate-but-period-perfect flame jobs and cool vintage parts. Like those triple carbs and crazy headers. The bull on the front, eh, I could take or leave that at this point, but it's certainly different. Those bomber style seats just seal the deal for me.

Builds like this, displayed like this in all their bare-plastic glory really get me going. I love mocking up and photographing my builds, and sharing them with others, in the hope that they might see a combination of parts that sets them off on a road to build something similar of their own. There's something so fun for me in planning a build; deciding what parts should go together, thinking what wheels go with which bodies, imagining how x kit would look with y paint colour. Much as I enjoy that though, nothing quite beats how much I love looking at other people's mock ups and in progress shots - it's just one of the aspects of this hobby which makes it so magical for me.

JB

No comments: