Sunday 6 January 2008

Vette Vans and the Coffin Corner



Anyone who knows me, knows that I love showrods. The Uncertain T, Vending Machine, and hundreds of real or modelled-but-not-real showcars from the sixties onwards really strike a chord with me. Thus, it's a natural that I'd eventually find The Coffin Corner.

The Coffin Corner, for those not familiar, is as a forum attached to the best (only) site on the web devoted to archiving all the various model showrods put out over the years, Showrods.com . The owner, Dave Rasmussen, originally put the site together so he could gaze longingly at his model collection whilst on long business trips away from home, but the site has since become much more than one man's handy reference. It's become a great community of like minded individuals who get together to build, show off, sell swap and discuss the sub-hobby of showrod building. For a regular like me, the in-jokes and humour and camaraderie are as much a part of the site as the cars themselves...just like any good car club! There's always a great selection of old school dragsters, hot rods, showrods and other oddities being built which make it just my kinda place.

The contests they run are a real favourite of mine, I always try and take part if I can. Last year they came up with what became called the Name Game; each participant thought of a cool showrod name (I did 'The Pizza Express' for example') and decals were make and sent out to other builders to build. The excitement was excruciating for me as I waited patiently for my decals to arrive so I could see which names had been picked out for me to build. Sadly, some participants are STILL waiting for their names and the contest remains, at this point at least, suspended.

The odd breakdown aside, I love 'em. The latest one, well, one of two, is based around an old magazine feature from CarToons Magazine, where readers were invited to send in pictures of Corvettes made into a van bodystyle. All it took was a casual mention of the feature on the board and another great contest was born.

What exactly I'm going to build I have no idea. There IS a kit of a Corvette Van, believe it or not, originally created by MPC. Building out of the box isn't quite what these guys probably have in mind. More in the spirit is cutting up a bunch of old (sometimes rare) kits and creating something new and exciting. Like I say, what those kits will be, I have no idea. I've got an old AMT '53 kit around here and a little messing today shows that a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery body could be made to fit (not without some HARDCORE surgery though), but I'm still undecided. Whatever it is though, I'll post up some in-progress and finished pics as I go.

Just that, a pick-up, a WMBMR entry and a Chevy on the 'urgent' pile at the minute then...

JB


No comments: